Extreme Turbulence on American Airlines Flight

An American Airlines flight from Greece to Philadelphia was hit by "severe turbulence" just before landing, injuring at least 10 people, the airline said. The three passengers and seven crew members injured in Saturday's flight from Athens were taken to a hospital for treatment.

Flight attendants had just finished handing out drinks before the plane lurched, causing drinks to go flying and people to slam into the ceiling, according to reports.

In the video posted by LA-based doctor Ervin Fang, the captain is heard saying: “Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain. We really apologize for that unexpected bump. We were expecting some light turbulence...it was just totally unexpected.”

“We've asked our cabin to make an assessment, make sure everybody is OK. Again, we sincerely apologize. We don't anticipate any more of that. We want to make sure, as always, to keep your seat belt fastened.”

The inside of the plane was a mess, with food and drinks littering the aisle and passengers looking scared. Fang said that he provided medical help to a flight attendant who hit the ceiling in the lurch, relocating his shoulder while still in the air.

Extreme Turbulence on American Airlines Flight Extreme Turbulence on American Airlines Flight  

FAA officials told WPVI that the flight crew reported severe turbulence while flying over the North Atlantic. The spokesperson for American Airlines told ABC News that the company could not comment on what caused the incident.

The airline described the turbulence as brief, and said that all 10 passengers have since been released from the hospital.

Extreme Turbulence on American Airlines Flight Extreme Turbulence on American Airlines Flight  

"American Airlines flight 759 from Athens, Greece to Philadelphia International Airport briefly encountered severe turbulence shortly before landing safely in Philadelphia Saturday afternoon," a statement from American Airlines said. "The seatbelt sign was on at the time. Three passengers and seven crew members were transported to a local hospital for evaluation and later released."