Canadian carriers strive to increase foreign voting shares
WestJet, Air Canada is seeking shareholder approval to increase the limits on foreign ownership and control of their voting shares. If airlines manage to get their respective shareholders’ approvals, they will then have to seek an approval by court. Similarly, Transat AT is also seeking the increase of its foreign ownership.
All the announcements were made on February 15, 2019, in relation to amendments made to the Canada Transportation Act (CTA) in 2018.
Since January 30, 2019, CTA defines a Canadian company as corporation or entity which is owned by Canadians by at least 51%. Thus, the remaining 49% of voting interest can be owned and controlled by foreigners. However, restrictions apply. In particular, voting rights are capped at 25% for one single non-Canadian or the aggregate of non-Canadian air carriers.
Previously, at least 75% of the voting interests of licensed Canadian air carriers had to be owned and controlled by Canadians.
FL Technics finalizes year 2018 with a €10,8 million net profit
FL Technics, a global provider of integrated aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul services, earned €119 million in...
Ryanair postpones first Boeing 737 MAX deliveries to winter 2019
Ryanair continues to have “utmost confidence” in Boeing 737 MAX, but is postponing the delivery of its first...
Canadian stir ups: WestJet to go private, Air Canada expand
Ownership changes are looming over Canadian airlines. First, private equity company Onex announced intentions to buy Wes...