Boeing-Embraer joint venture: KC-390 becomes C-390 Millenium

During Dubai Airshow 2019, Boeing and Embraer made official their second joint venture to develop and sell the KC-390 multi-mission airlifter, renamed C-390 Millennium. The organization has yet to receive regulatory approvals.

While Boeing was taking over the commercial aviation activities of Embraer, the two manufacturers had agreed on a second joint venture for the Brazilian’s defense division to continue the production of the KC-390. As planned, Embraer will hold a 51% stake and Boeing ‒ the remaining 49%, of this new company, called Boeing Embraer – Defense

“The name of our joint venture represents the strong partnership between Embraer and Boeing that will strengthen the global competitiveness of this incredible aircraft and broaden the target markets, developing and generating greater value for the C-390 program to offer the best for our future customers,” said Jackson Schneider, President and CEO, Embraer Defense & Security, in a press release.

The C-390 Millenium is a tactical transport and inflight refueling aircraft. Powered by two specially designed Pratt and Whitney V2500-E5 engines, it can carry 26 tons of cargo, including vehicles like two M113 armored personnel carriers, or a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter. The biggest aircraft produced in Latin America, it is designed to take off and land on semi-prepared and unpaved airfields. The designation KC-390 will be maintained for the customers that have opted for the aerial refueling capability.

Embraer has a total backlog of 35 aircraft, 30 for Brazil and five for Portugal, a partner in the development of the aircraft. The Brazilian Air Force (FAB) received its first aircraft on September 4, 2019, and should receive a second one by the end of the year. Portugal expects its first airlifter in 2023.

The manufacturer has also received letters of intent from the Czech Republic (a partner in the program), as well as Argentina, Chile, and Colombia.


Related Posts

AeroTime is on YouTube

Subscribe to the AeroTime Hub channel for exclusive video content.

Subscribe to AeroTime Hub