A Spirit Airlines flight was forced to make an unscheduled landing after a battery fire broke out in an overhead bin midflight.
The Airbus A320 was travelling from Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and was headed to Orlando International Airport (MCO) on Wednesday, March 1, 2023, when a passenger reportedly shouted “fire.”
Video and photos taken by concerned travelers showed the plane cabin filling with smoke as some passengers attempted to approach the fire.
News 4 JAX reported that a retired New York City firefighter helped the crew to put out the fire, which resulted in him burning his fingers.
The retired firefighter blamed the fire on a “battery-powered vape tied to a battery charging inside the compartment.”
The flight landed safely in Jacksonville (JAX), Florida, where emergency responders boarded the plane.
A spokesperson for Spirit Airlines told CNN: “The plane landed at JAX and taxied to the terminal without incident. We thank our crew and Guests for their quick actions to ensure the safety of everyone onboard, and we thank first responders for meeting the aircraft.”
Spirit Airlines did not provide an alternative flight to Orlando for the passengers, with some forced to take an Uber costing $250.
“Spirit Airlines Flight 259 landed safely at Jacksonville International Airport around 2 p.m. on Wednesday, March 1 after the crew reported a battery on fire in an overhead bin,” an FAA spokesperson confirmed.