A mother of a teenager who died onboard an American Airlines flight is suing the airline after the life-saving onboard defibrillator failed to work.
Kevin Greenidge was flying from San Pedro Sula, Honduras to Miami International Airport (MIA) on June 4, 2022, when he reportedly suffered a cardiac arrest and lost consciousness.
According to the lawsuit, when crew members aboard the Boeing 737 MAX tried to use the automatic external defibrillator (AED) it did not function.
The flight was diverted to Cancun, Mexico, shortly after leaving Honduras but Greenidge could not be saved.
Greenidge’s mother, Melissa Arzu, filed a lawsuit at US District Court for the Southern District of New York on March 13, 2023.
According to Dallas News the plaintiff is claiming her son’s death was a result of carelessness, citing the uncharged mobile battery pack and employees that were untrained in resuscitation.
The deceased’s family are also claiming gross negligence by the airline before the teenager’s death and damages due to pain and suffering.
In 1994 a doctor working for American Airlines convinced bosses to install defibrillators on board all its flights.
This made American Airlines the first carrier to have the life-saving equipment onboard.
The first person saved by a defibrillator on an American Airlines flight was on February 18, 1998.
AeroTime has contacted American Airlines for comment.