US F/A-18 and RAF Typhoon fighter jets strike Houthi military targets in Yemen

US Air Force F/A-18
US Central Command

The United States (US) and United Kingdom (UK) have launched a fresh wave of air strikes against Iranian-backed Houthi military targets overnight.  

US Air Force F/A-18 Super Hornet and Royal Air Force Typhoon FGR4 fighter jets led the strikes, backed by a coalition of nations, at around 11.50 pm (Sanaa Yemen time) on February 24, 2024. 

In a joint statement by Australia, Bahrain, Denmark, Canada, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the UK and the US, it said the operation was launched in response to “continued attacks against commercial and naval vessels transiting the Red Sea” by Houthi forces. 

Fighter jets hit 18 Houthi positions across eight locations across Yemen, with underground weapons storage facilities, missile storage facilities, one-way attack unmanned aerial systems, air defense systems, radars, and a helicopter all targeted.  

According to a UK government statement, the RAF aircraft were allocated multiple targets at two sites, with two Voyager tankers also contributing to the operation. 

“Intelligence analysis had successfully identified several very long-range drones, used by the Houthis for both reconnaissance and attack missions, at a former surface-to-air missile battery site several miles north-east of Sanaa. Our aircraft used Paveway IV precision guided bombs against the drones and their launchers, notwithstanding the Houthis’ use of the old missile battery revetments to try to protect the drones,” the UK said in the statement. 

Footage of F/A-18 Super Hornets were seen being launched from the aircraft carrier, USS Dwight D. Eisenhower. 

“The United States will not hesitate to take action, as needed, to defend lives and the free flow of commerce in one of the world’s most critical waterways. We will continue to make clear to the Houthis that they will bear the consequences if they do not stop their illegal attacks, which harm Middle Eastern economies, cause environmental damage, and disrupt the delivery of humanitarian aid to Yemen and other countries,” Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin, said. 

In response Houthi military spokesperson, Yahya Saree, said that they would “confront the American-British escalation with more qualitative military operations”. 

The UK cited the February 22, 2024, missile attack that struck the UK-owned M/V Islander and injured a crewmember and the February 19, 2024, drone attack that hit the US-owned M/V Navis Fortuna, as recent examples of Houthi aggression. 

“The UK and US have carried out further strikes on Houthi military targets. Despite repeated warnings, the Houthis have continued their attacks on shipping in the Red Sea, including targeting UK-linked vessels, undermining regional stability. We have been clear that we will back our words with actions,” the UK Foreign Secretary, David Cameron said on February 25, 2024. 

author avatar
Ian Molyneaux
Journalist[br][br] Ian joined AeroTime in February 2023 after working as a journalist in London, UK. He has also previously worked for a business aviation events organizer and has a master's degree in journalism. Ian is based in Brighton, UK.
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

AeroTime is on YouTube

Subscribe to the AeroTime Hub channel for exclusive video content.

Subscribe to AeroTime Hub