Safety probe launched after Jetstar Airbus A320 veers off runway due to fault 

VH-VFF Jetstar Airbus A320-200
Ev Brown / Flickr / Creative Commons

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission (TAIC) in New Zealand has launched an investigation into an incident involving a Jetstar Airbus A320-232 at Christchurch International Airport (CIC). 

Shortly after landing on May 31, 2024, the Jetstar Airbus A320, which had arrived from Auckland Airport (AKL), veered off the runway as the aircraft decelerated. 

In a statement issued by Jetstar, the low-cost airline said that the A320, registered VH-VFF, suffered a “steering issue” which caused the aircraft to veer from the runway at “low speed and onto the grass.” 

Writer Diana Clement, who was on the flight, told the NZ Herald that the Jetstar plane “swerved wildly” onto the grass leaving her “shaken” by the experience.  

Clement said the aircraft was surrounded by fire trucks and that the aircraft had suffered a “hydraulic leak on the right”.  

Flight JQ225 left Auckland shortly after 06:30 local time before arriving in Christchurch around one hour later.  

“There were no injuries to passengers or crew,” Jetstar said in its statement. “The aircraft was towed to the gate and all passengers disembarked. We’re working with Airbus and relevant authorities to investigate what happened.” 

The airline added: “We understand this may have been a difficult experience for our customers and we thank everyone onboard for their cooperation.” 

The TAIC has asked any witnesses to come forward, “especially those who have relevant video footage” the commission said.  

“We’re gathering all the usual evidence and data for the start of this sort of investigation – including the cockpit voice and flight data recordings and airport CCTV footage,” Chief Investigator of Accidents Naveen Kozhuppakalam said. “Our investigators will be seeking and recovering electronic records and interviewing aircraft crew, airport authorities, air traffic control, and witnesses.” 

The commission confirmed it has appointed a dedicated investigation team of two, who are on the airport site today.   

The main runway at Christchurch Airport was initially closed following the incident but reopened at 07:45. 

“Police have confirmed there were no injuries to those onboard,” the airport said in a statement. “The terminal is open as normal.” 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

AeroTime is on YouTube

Subscribe to the AeroTime Hub channel for exclusive video content.

Subscribe to AeroTime Hub