Jetstar flight from Melbourne to Bali forced to make U-turn over mid-air rampage

Ryan Fletcher / / 10newsfirst TikTok

A Jetstar flight headed for Bali’s I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS) from Melbourne Airport (MEL) was forced to turn back after a passenger became disruptive mid-flight.

Flight JQ 43 departed Melbourne Airport on time at 10:25 local time on March 18, 2024. However, barely two hours into the journey, the B787 Dreamliner had to turn around and land back in Melbourne. 

In a statement given to Australian media outlets, Jetstar said that “the Captain decided to return to Melbourne to get assistance from the Australian Federal Police after a passenger became disruptive just under two hours into the flight.”


A Jetstar flight to Bali has made an unplanned return after a female passenger became unruly and violent while onboard. Flight JQ43, travelling from Melbourne to Denpasar, was turned around halfway through its journey when the passenger became too disruptive for the flight to continue. In footage shot by other passengers, the woman can be seen going on a profanity-laced tirade and screaming at another passenger, before returning to her seat under guard. The plane returned to Melbourne Airport where the Australian Federal Police took over the situation. The flight has been rescheduled for 10am Tuesday morning.

♬ original sound – 10 News First Australia

Video clips shot during the flight and subsequently uploaded to social media show a woman screaming at other passengers. Witnesses said that the woman claimed someone had stolen her mobile phone during the flight and had started yelling at other passengers, even storming the cockpit at one point and banging on the door.

Other passengers helped restrain the woman while the flight returned to Melbourne.

Jetstar said the flight had been rescheduled to 10:00 local time the following day and passengers affected by the incident would be provided with hotel accommodation and other necessary expenses.

“We know this was a difficult experience for other customers and our team members, and we thank those who assisted with the situation,” Jetsar’s statement continued. “Due to the circumstances, several crew members were unable to continue flying. The safety of our customers and crew is our priority”.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) is currently investigating the incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

AeroTime is on YouTube

Subscribe to the AeroTime Hub channel for exclusive video content.

Subscribe to AeroTime Hub